Milestones 1875 ~ 1900
1782 Creation of the first Jacksonian Professorship of Natural Experimental Philosophy (the forerunner of the Professorship of Mechanism and Applied Mechanics). Holder Isaac Milner, also President of Queens’ College.
1837 Robert Willis appointed as Jacksonian Professor. The first Cambridge Professor to win international recognition as a mechanical engineer.
1850 Royal Commission report favours setting up of engineering course at Cambridge.
1875 James Stuart appointed as Professor of Mechanism and Applied Mechanics.
1878 Engineering Workshop opened.
1882 Two storey extension, new cottages and foundry in Free School Lane.
1890 Resignation of Stuart.
1890 James Alfred Ewing appointed Professor of Mechanism and Applied Mechanics.
1891 Perse School in Free School Lane converted for use as Laboratories which were opened by Lord Kelvin in 1894.
1894 Engineering Tripos established.
1897 Trials of Parsons experimental vessel - Turbinia.
1898 John Hopkinson died in mountaineering accident. His widow leaves money to build new laboratory.
1900 Downing Site bought by University. Engineering Department expanded in Free School Lane.