1878

Engineering Workshop

The opening of the new Workshop was announced in the Reporter in October 1878. The notice attracted sufficient attention to be copied to several newspapers including French ones.

The whole expense was borne by Stuart, amounting to some 1,145. It was a wooden hut, fifty feet long and twenty wide which acted as a smithy and carpentry shop. It was a source of intense pride to Stuart, but was to be the source of great trouble with the university.