[Univ of Cambridge] [Dept of Engineering]


banner.jpg (23310 bytes)

30 Years of
Research and Development

In the early 1970s Professor Andrew Schofield initiated a programme of research in geotechnical engineering  which has achieved international recognition. The research has been based mainly on the application of large geotechnical centrifuges designed and constructed in the Cambridge University Engineering Department.
   The centrifuges are housed in the Schofield Laboratory on the West Cambridge Site where much of the research in soil mechanics is conducted. An outline of this research is given in the first of the papers presented below.
   In the second paper Philip Turner, the Department’s Senior Design Engineer (1959-1984), describes the design of the two original centrifuges.

(Picture: Arm Centrifuge Facility, West Cambridge)

Contents

Geotechnical Engineering
by Andrew Schofield

The Design of Large Geotechnical Centrifuges
by Philip Turner

Optimum viewing at 800x600 pixels


Editor: Kenneth CA Smith
2000 Cambridge University Engineering Department.
Site maintenance: Bernie Breton
bcb@eng.cam.ac.uk
Scientific Imaging Group

Last update: June 2000