Milestones 1900 ~ 1925

1900 The new wing built on the Engineering Laboratory in Free School Lane to commemorate John Hopkinson was completed and opened by Lord Kelvin.

1903 James Ewing resigned as Head of Department to take up post of Director of Naval Education, Greenwich.
Bertram Hopkinson was appointed the new Professor of Mechanism and Applied Mechanics.

1904 Arthur H. Chapman was appointed as an assistant to Bertram Hopkinson. He was to hold a post in Engineering for 50 years, eventually as Department Secretary.

1914 The outbreak of war. Hopkinson mobilised, leaving his deputy, Lamb in charge of the Department.

1916 Hopkinson opened the experimental station at Orfordness.

1918 Hopkinson killed in an aircrash whilst flying from Martlesham Heath to London. Buried in St Giles cemetery with full military honours following a service in King's College chapel.

1919 Charles Edward Inglis appointed Professor of Mechanism and Applied Mechanics, aged 43.
Bennett Melvill Jones appointed the first Francis Mond Professor of Aeronautical Engineering.
Board of Engineering Studies established.
Number of students rises to a record 808, once peace is established.

1920 Scroope House standing in three acres of land is bought. Inglis building started following generous donation from Sir Dorabji Tata. Aeronautics added to Mechanical Sciences Tripos

1925 First recorded Conversazione held.