||Department of Engineering
Cambridge University Engineers' Association
The Cambridge University Engineers' Association exists to provide a link between alumni and Cambrindge University Engineering Department, and to maintain links between the Department and the engineering profession as a whole. All graduates of the Department are members of the Association.
If you wish to update your details, please contact the Development and Alumni Relations Office.
Officers and Executive Committee
The Officers of the Association comprise a President, a Vice-President, an Honorary Secretary and an Honorary Treasurer. The present post holders are:
||Dr Michael Purshouse
||Prof. David Cardwell
|| Dr James Talbot
|| Dr Jade Tran
The members of the Executive Committee of the Association are:
Cdr. Mark Grenfell-Shaw
Philip Guildford (CUED Director of Research)
Igor Wowk (CUED Industrial Experience Co-ordinator)Margaret Winchcomb
Dr Barnali Ghosh
Dr Stuart Haigh
Prof. Abir Al-Tabbaa
Background to the CUEA
The Cambridge University Engineers' Association (CUEA) was founded in
December 1928 with the object of the advancement of the welfare and interests of the University of Cambridge. The association does this by:
- The encouragement of closer relations between members past and present of the University Engineering Department, and by fostering the interests which they have in common.
- Keeping members of the Association informed of events in the Department and of any questions which concern its welfare.
The CUEA was formally constituted in December 1928. Its objectives were
defined as follows:
- To keep all past and present members of the University who are, or
have been, associated with the profession of Engineering in touch with each
other and with the University Engineering School.
- To compile and keep up to date as complete a record as possible of
the careers of all Cambridge engineers, and to publish annually for issue to
its members a Register giving the names and addresses of Cambridge
- To organise such reunions of its members as may be considered of
value to the Association.
- To facilitate united action on any matter concerning the welfare of
Sir Charles Parsons was elected President.
In May 1953 His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh, who had opened the
first block of the Baker Building in the previous November, consented to become
Patron of the Association. A revised constitution was approved at the Annual
General Meeting held on 11 July 1953. The Association was to be open to all
Cambridge graduates who were, or had been, associated with the profession of
engineering. Nowadays, all graduates of the Department of Engineering are treated as members of the Association.
The CUEA assists with the annual Alumni Festival at Cambridge, to which all alumni are
invited, having instigated the first alumni conference in 1965 in the belief that “they
would result not only in the production of new ideas but also in action which
will be of positive benefit to the national economy.”
Previous CUEA conferences
Dr James Talbot (Honorary Secretary, CUEA),
cuea-enquiries (a) eng.cam.ac.uk