1932

The move to Scroope House

By 1919, student numbers had increased to 808 and the teaching staff had increased to 48.

Three wooden army huts were erected on vacant courts near the site of the Engineering labs on Free School Lane, to cater for the increased number of students. Everyone was short of space again, so a move to Scroope House, standing in a garden of over 3 acres in Trumpington Street, was proposed.

The purchase was completed in 1920, and an appeals committee formed to finance new buildings and their furbishment.

Scroope House (c.1920)

Scroope House (c.1920)

25,000 was given by Sir Dorabji Tata (ex Caius College), head of the great Indian engineering company and proved sufficient to cover the whole cost of the first stage of building, and the administrative offices were moved in to Scroope House in 1921.

The move into the new premises occurred over a number of years, finally being completed in 1932.