A few days before his death, Hopkinson had promised to help raise
money for the new North wing of the laboratory. To honour this promise,
his widow gave £5000 towards the construction of the new wing as
a memorial to her husband and son Jack, who, had he lived, would
have entered the Department as an undergraduate in the Michaelmas
This plaque can still be seen on the wall of what is now the Whipple
Science museum in Free School Lane. No mention is made of the two
daughters who were also killed.
In 1898 Ewing was elected to a Professorial Fellowship at King's.
In 1903, Ewing left Cambridge to take over as Director of Naval
Education in Greenwich. A few years later he married the surviving
daughter, Ellen, of his old friend and patron, John Hopkinson, his
first wife, Annie, having died after a long illness.