Fellowship of Engineering

The RAEng began as the Fellowship of Engineering in 1976 on the initiative of the Duke of Edinburgh (Patron of the CUEA). Lord Hinton of Bankside (Life Peer 1965), OM became the founding President of the Fellowship, which became the Royal Academy of Engineering in 1992. Lord Hinton took 1st Class Honours in Mechanical Sciences in 1926 and subsequently played a key role in the UK's development of nuclear power for energy generation, becoming chairman of the Central Electricity Generating Board in 1957.