This twenty-five year period was a time of great expansion for the Department
of Engineering, not only in buildings but also in research. It was the
only time in the Department's history that government funding was readily
available and the Head of Department, John Baker, was ready to make the
most of this window of opportunity. Immediately after the Second World
War he had put in place proposals for the complete development of the
Scroope House site, where the Department remains to this day.
The opening of the main block of
the new Baker building by the Duke of Edinburgh. At last every member
of the teaching staff had their own room, as well as common
rooms, library, administrative
offices and Boardroom.
Control Engineering became established
as a separate field of research under the leadership of Mr J.F. Coales.
The first research student joined the group in 1953.
The South Wing of the Baker Building
was completed and was used to house Aeronautics and the Heat Group.
The importance of technological education to the national economy
led to a huge expansion in engineering schools all over the country.
Scroope House was demolished and
plans put in place for the re-design of the Inglis Block. The design
of this was given to Dr Jacques Heyman and Mr R.P.Johnson (later to
become Professor Johnson of Warwick University). By this time a code
of practice for the plastic design of steelwork had been introduced,
which was used for the design of the frames for the first phase of
Inglis rebuilding (Inglis A - the
Inglis building was to be re-built in five stages, A-E).
The Electrical Sciences Tripos was established on the initiative
of Charles Oatley.
The North Wing of the Baker building
was opened, the final stage of the site development first proposed
in 1946. The North Wing was built using a further extension of the
plastic theory and is believed to be the first 'plastic-composite'
structure to be erected in the country, using composite steel and
concrete members, research on which had begun in 1961. A most important
feature was a lecture theatre to
seat 334 people, including facilities for closed circuit TV and simultaneous